Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Atmospheric Scattering and Aerial Perspective

Fourth post in a day...phew...bear with me...this is the last...no way am I going to be posting this frequently from this post on...the starting posts are more of a clear out in that I'm posting stuff that I've worked on in the two/three months that I was free...from here on, the updates (if there will be any :)), will be at a much slower pace...nyways enough of the rant :)

Having already worked on procedural landscape generation, I was looking at methods to add greater realism to the environment. Working towards this, I tried implementing atmospheric scattering by the aid of the paper - Real Time Rendering of Atmospheric Scattering Effects for Flight Simulators written by Ralf Stokholm Nielsen, and this is what I came up with.

The immense sun problem at sunset does bother me and so does the fact that the horizon does not fade to white at far away points (for aerial perspective), but these things can be made better by parameter tweaking...

I made use of the irrlicht engine for this (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/)

Screens:

Suset:


Atmospheric Scattering:


And the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment